‘Work from home’ is bliss. Only a few people get such an opportunity in their life where they could be their own boss and where they could work according to their own wish.
But as I always say, each coin has two sides and so does this ‘work from home’ thing. While you would catch lots of jealous eyes for you are earning from home (Read- doing nothing according to those jealous people), only you know how much hard work you have been putting in. Only you know what it takes to work from home.
And if you do work from home, you know that with all the ‘be your own boss’ advantages, you meet the biggest disadvantage of this work from home concept – HEALTH ISSUES.
Thanks to my blog for it introduced me to a bunch of people who are now earning their living while working from home and are the inspiration for today’s post. All the people who work from home at present have been facing one or other health issue and this post has been written to help you to prevent those issues for prevention is always better than cure. Isn’t it?
So, here are the five tips to stay healthy while you work from home –
1. Build an Office: I know this is a big contradiction for the people who practice this concept. If you wanted to work in an office, then why did you adopt work from home concept at first place?
But tell me one thing, don’t you have a favorite spot in your home where you like to sit and work, where your productivity at work increases manifolds?
All I want you to do is mark that spot for your work time. Get a comfortable office chair and reserve the spot for work.
Now, when you have your office, you must watch your sitting posture for that creates major health issues. A bad sitting posture is clearly equivalent to back pain. And I am sure you don’t want to befriend back pain at such a young age. Do you?
2. Take breaks: Yes I know that you want to work according to your own time preferences but that doesn’t mean you should skip the essential breaks. No matter how important and close the deadline is, you must take breaks.
Working for more than an hour at a stretch is very bad for your health. So, make sure you take 5-10 minutes break after every 1 hour (I prefer 45 minutes) and during this break, you aren’t supposed to use Facebook or even your PC or mobile phone. You are supposed to roam around in your house. Yes, you read that right!
And for the people, who work on computers for long hours, use 20:20:20 rule which requires you to look at a 20 feet distance for 20 seconds after every 20 minutes of work on computer. Is it too difficult to do to prevent yourself from extra strain on eyes
3. Plan a routine: Working from home isn’t an excuse for not having a routine. In fact, every person who earns a good sum of money follows a strict cum flexible schedule and you should do it as well.
Plan the tasks you need to do every day and go for them. Be realistic and punctual. Don’t procrastinate!
4. Have Craving-busters: I know everyone of us likes to have some snacks while working for long hours. But you know what; the choice of wrong snacks is what makes you fat and unhealthy. So, make sure you keep good and healthy craving-busters ready for yourself.
Go for fruits, nuts, green tea instead of chips, chocolate and coffee. The effect of green tea is similar to the effect of coffee, so why not green tea?
5. Stretching exercises: When you sit for long hours, you do face several health problems. While maintaining a good posture is very necessary and effective to be healthy, stretching exercises are really important.
You must take help of Youtube to learn some good stretching exercises. I would recommend 15 minute yoga workout by Shilpa Shetty which really works. I have tried that myself and have experienced a good improvement in my overall productivity towards my blog. You can try it too.
During my research, I found tones of points but I decided to go for only five of these. Why? Because these are the tips which I practice myself, though I don’t work full time from home but most of my day is spent working on my desktop at home.
I hope these points help and do add more points to this article for this has been written for everyone who works from home or who is looking forward to do that.